Sex Crime Convictions Often Have Life-Changing Penalties
In today’s justice system, the mere accusation of committing a sex crime can be a sentence unto itself. In Michigan, criminal sexual conduct (CSC) charges can range from stalking or indecent exposure to rape, child molestation or possession of child pornography.
Over the past decade or more, Michigan, like many states in the U.S., has rewritten many laws pertaining to sex offenses to make the penalties harsher. Conviction of many sex crimes requires the individual to register as a Michigan sex offender. As you can imagine, this can have serious negative consequences on where you live, employment opportunities and your life overall.
Our Experienced Criminal Defense Attorney Knows How To Fight These Charges
While no one promotes “going easy” on true sex offenders, the aggressive approach to investigation and prosecution of these crimes, and the draconian nature of the penalties pose unjust difficulties for those who are wrongfully accused of sex crimes. If you are accused of committing a sex crime, or if you have been questioned by police in connection with a sex crime, it is imperative that you immediately enlist the services of an experienced criminal defense attorney who will aggressively protect your rights.
We Stand Up To Aggressive Legal Tactics
At the law office of Michael A. McInerney, PLC, in Grand Rapids, I know the serious ramifications of not only being convicted of a sex crime, but merely being accused of one. I will bring an assertive approach to thoroughly investigating the charges against you and defend you in court or work to have the charges dismissed or reduced without going to trial.
I represent individuals throughout Michigan who face a broad spectrum of sex crimes charges, including:
- Sexual battery or assault — These charges often stem from a domestic dispute, which can lead to orders for protection. Immediate response is critical.
- Internet sex charges — Accusations range from indecent exposure using email or video streaming, to solicitation of a minor online or possession of child pornography.
- Prostitution and solicitation — There are a wide range of penalties in this area depending upon the facts of your case. We know how to defend against the charges.
- Criminal sexual conduct — Penalties can be as severe as life in prison.
- Sexting — Many teens equipped with cellphones don’t realize that sending sexually explicit photos can result in serious criminal charges.
Immediate Response Is Important
If you face charges of sexual assault or any criminal charge, do not speak with law enforcement officials until you have hired a lawyer. I still believe in the concept of innocent until proven guilty, and I will work to prevent a sex crimes charge from derailing your life.
Call 616-259-0862 or use our online contact form to schedule a free consultation.